Work at Home Team Forum Index Work at Home Team
We help you grow your home business

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing Articles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Work at Home Team Forum Index -> Free Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Writing Articles Reply with quote

Writing articles is a great way to bring free traffic to your with only a little work each month. Spending the time to sit down and write useful content can be hard work but it should pay off in the free promotion you get as a result.

Website and newsletter publishers are in constant need of fresh, new content, and you can be the one to provide it! It is surprising how few authors there are out there considering most people know enough to write articles on subjects they know. It just requires a little planning and work

I have noticed that some of you are very good at writing. You can dramatically increase your visibility when you write articles in your area of expertise and distribute them to editors as free content. Write articles about a subject that is related with your home business, and then distribute these articles for free publication on other websites and in e-zines, with the stipulation that your brief bio and a link to your site remain intact.

If your articles are helpful, they'll be picked up by lots of websites and e-mail newsletter publishers. Not only will your article bring lots of immediate traffic to your website from e-zine readers, it's likely that your article will be permanently archived among newsletter back issues, so this will begin to multiply permanent links to your site. Search engines, which evaluate incoming links to your site, will observe a boost in your site's "popularity," and are likely to rank you higher because you are popular.

Writing free articles for newsletters can get your name out through scores of newsletters to thousands of readers for little or no expenditure of money -- only your time. When your article appears in someone's ezine or is hosted on someone's site, you are looked to as an authority on your subject. Links to your site now become much more valuable. Instead of just casual clicking, people now come to your site already believing in your credibility. They are much more ready to make a purchase of your goods and services than if they arrived cold from a search engine link.

If you have decided to use this method you should take care of the following matters.

Firstly you should visit http://work-at-home-team.com and review the articles WAHT hosts. (Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find a lot of links to hosted articles). Doing so you will get the feel of how an article should be written to get published by other webmasters.

Start by deciding what it is you're going to write about. Choose a topic you know enough about to write about, there's a demand for content in almost any imaginable subject. How-to articles or articles which teach people how to do something that will help them in some way work great.

Plan what you're going to write. Once you've chosen a topic for your article, think of a title. Make it catchy, like a headline, but refrain from making it sound like an ad. Then, make a list or an outline of some sort. Not only will it help you to divide your article into logical sections, but your readers will appreciate being able to take in your information one chunk at a time.

Don't be overly general or full of hype, such as "Ten Ways to Become a Success." Instead, be specific. Titles with a 'how to' work very well. Very specific headlines work best, including articles that promise a unique explanation of what the content means -- the 7 keys, the 3 steps, the 4 types of headlines, etc."

You already know a lot about Internet Marketing and you already have the experience of working at Home. Here are some examples of articles you could write:

How to Create Persuasive Follow Up Messages
The 7 Keys for a Successful Reciprocal Links Campaign
The 8 Steps You Should Take Before You Can Start Working at Home

As for writing style, provide plenty of well-organized solid information but write in a friendly, chatty style, the kind of tone you'd adopt when explaining your topic to a person sitting across the table, having a cup of coffee with you. Just be aware that "chatty" doesn't mean "rambling" or "sloppy." The best articles are tightly organized and written, but easy to read. Be as educational as possible without being overtly promotional, since the better newsletters will omit articles that contain promotional content.

Sit down and start writing, one section at a time. You should probably not have more than 4 or 5 sections to your article. Once you've finished writing one, move on to the next. This way you can take breaks between sections without losing track of where you were writing, and your article will stay neatly organized.

Once you've finished, set your content aside for a few hours. Return to it later, or even the next day, and reread what you've written. Expand, change your wording until it sounds its best, and eliminate run-on sentences and other grammar problems. Once you're finished and you feel your writing is at its best, run it through a spellchecker just to be sure.

You can even post it here in our forums and ask the rest of us to review your articles. If there is an interest we could even create a separate section just for the articles

Now that you're completely finished, be sure to write your 3-5 line "About the Author" section to tack on to the end of your article. This is the reward for all the hard work! Mention anything you want about yourself, but it's good to at least include your email address and website URL.

Once you've written the article, you'll be looking for places to submit it. The best places to have your articles appear are in very focused e-zines and websites.

You can search in Google for home business submit article, or ezine directory and make a list of editors who accept article submissions. For example a quick search has given me the following:

http://www.family-content.com/articles/submit.shtml
http://www.powerhomebiz.com/termsofuse/articlesubmission.htm
http://www.ideamarketers.com
http://www.web-source.net/articlesub.htm
http://www.freesticky.com/stickyweb/submit.asp
http://www.marketing-seek.com/articles/submit.shtml
http://www.ezinearticles.com/add_url.html
http://www.connectionteam.com/submit.html
http://www.netterweb.com/articles/
http://www.published.com/index.html

Once you've developed a list of editors who accept submissions, then e-mail your newest article to them each time you write a new one.

Don't forget to post your free articles on your own website, too. These articles will help attract search engine traffic to your site. They also provide an easy place where e-zine editors can look for content.

Write articles on a consistent basis (monthly works best for most people), keep the quality of your writing up, and you should have no problem obtaining substantial free traffic from your work.

Last edited by Tina on Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Mistyoverseas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice Tina. I especially like the idea of being able to post the article here first and get it reviewed before submitting it. It is definitely something that I will look into. Thanks for your advice.
Tina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: I have started adding your articles Reply with quote

Please visit http://work-at-home-team.com/articles/2002420.html

I will continue adding your articles in WAHT site. Please note that each article you get added in WAHT site will give you another PR 4 inbound link in a page with 15 links. Compare this to most of your inbound links and you will find out that this is very important. Remember that the PR power each inbound link gives you is analogous to the PR of the page that links to your site divided by the number of links in it.

I am sure you will be able to to get a lot of similar inbound links from other sites as described in my post above. Do not underestimate this kind of promotion.

Also please note that the PTLs with a free site who would like to add their own articles in their sites can request access to their control panel so that they can edit their sites and add new pages for their articles in them.

While the WAHT policy does not allow access to control panel for the free sites, I am sure that this method of promotion is so powerful that it deserves an exception to the rules.
Starr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tina!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omeomi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I like this idea and look forward to trying my hand at it.

At the moment, I'm up to my you-know-what in alligators and looking for the plug to drain the
swamp!

omeomi
Starr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At the moment, I'm up to my you-know-what in alligators and looking for the plug to drain the
swamp!
did i miss something or are you serious?? lol! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omeomi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just very end of month busy.

We do have alligators here, though...somewhere.

By the way, did you catch the post here tonight on Bralland's end-of-month letter? It's worth reading.

omeomi
Starr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep! its very good Very Happy
Tina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: New articles... Reply with quote

... have been added in the http://work-at-home-team.com

We will be adding your articles among other useful articles as often as we can.

By the way, I have to admit that me being a non native speaker, I am not the most suitable person to review your articles. I find them very good for their content by I cannot propose a better syntax, or a better way to express a particular phrase.

I think you (the native speakers) should help each other for better results. Very Happy
Tina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would greatly appreciate it if those of you who have followed my advice and have written your own articles, could post the result of this effort.

By the way, I have added some more editors who accept article submissions. Do not forget to promote your articles by submitting them to as many directories as you can. Smile
poolkat
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Results from my article Reply with quote

Hi Tina,

Once I added my article, A Lesson in Patience and Endurance, to my site, I have enjoyed increased traffic and new affiliates. Many of my new affiliates have responded to me personally as they find themselves in similar situations. Unfortunately, because they are in the same predicament, only two are MIQ, but many are asking for my assistance with regards to both starting out in SFI and how to better deal with their own situations. I believe that this article has brought me more affiliates than other methods. Currently I have 168, 110 of them are from my site.

Kat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
poolkat
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing some research into placing my articles into ezines on the lists that Tina referenced above. Could some one please tell me what "resource boxes" are? They seem to be mentioned in a lot of these ezine submission articles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mom2373

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resource boxes are something like this:

Tina Barraclough is a stay at home mom and owner of http://best-home-based-business-idea.com

Something saying who you are and your website URL
poolkat
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mom2373. It's almost like a by-line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Work at Home Team Forum Index -> Free Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: